Over 90 workers, mostly women, have fallen ill after an incident of Ammonia gas leak at a prawn processing factory Falcon Marine in Balasore, Odisha, on Wednesday night.
The incident took place at around 8 pm when the gas leaked from the plant located at Panapana, mostly affecting workers of the factory who complained of breathing problem, a police officer said.
The affected workers have been rushed to the Balasore Headquarters Hospital.
“As per preliminary information, it is suspected that ammonia gas leaked at the processing unit and things will be clear after thorough examination,” he said.
Fire brigade personnel from Balasore reached the spot near national highway 16– about 20 km from here.
Doctors said the situation is under control and many of the affected people were being discharged after first aid.
In September, many residents in Mumbai’s western and eastern suburbs reported an unknown odour, prompting rumours of a gas leak at the Rashtriya Chemical Fertiliser’s plant in the Chembur suburb. Nine fire engines were sent to various places to find out the source of leakage, the official said. A police official said no injuries were reported.
(With PTI inputs)