The Head Start Program has announced its 2020/2021 school year will begin virtually on Sept. 14 until it is determined that in-person instruction can safely resume.
To prepare for the launch of the virtual school year, Head Start staff will be contacting parents the week of Sept. 7 for initial orientation and distribution of learning packets.
For the entire month of September, the Head Start will utilize its virtual “Learning at Home” approach, which will involve the following:
- Families will receive packages of developmentally appropriate activities and materials to work with young children at home.
- Head Start teachers will contact families twice a week to provide guidance and support with the learning process.
- Families with the required technology will be able to access Head Start’s various learning platforms, including the High/Scope Preschool Curriculum, Hatch Early Learning and COR Advantage. (Visit the Head Start website for details on these learning platforms: www.dhs.gov.vi )
In order to continue to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and to keep staff and families safe, the USVI Head Start program has implemented the following mandatory guidelines for all facilities:
- Face coverings for all staff members, clients, and vendors entering Head Start buildings
- Mandatory daily temperature screenings for all staff members, clients and vendors prior to entering the facility
- Increased, routine cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces, toys and common areas
- Increased frequency of required handwashing
- Individualized use of toys, materials and supplies in the program’s classrooms
- Provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for staff members
- Replace the family-style meals with individualized servings in classrooms.
Meal distribution for the children will also begin on Sept. 14, 2020. The distribution schedule will be as follows:
St. Thomas — Parents will pick up the packaged meals at their child(ren)’s Head Start Center at Savan, Bergs Home, Sugar Estate, Wilhelm George and Bovoni from 10:30-11:30 a.m.
St. Croix —
- Children who attend the Concordia Head Start Center will pick up meals on-site between 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- Children who attend the Anna’s Hope Head Start Center and Richmond Head Start Center will pick up their packaged meals at the Anna’s Hope Head Start Center between 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- Children who attend the Frederiksted, Christiansted, and Kingshill Head Start Centers will pick up packaged meals at the curbside distribution spots. See below.
Head Start Curbside Schedule:
BUS ROUTE I … DISTRIBUTION TIME (ALL TIMES A.M.)
Estate Profit 10:45 a.m.
John F. Kennedy 11 a.m.
Ruby M. Rouss Housing (Water Gut) 11:30 a.m.
BUS ROUTE II … DISTRIBUTION TIME (ALL TIMES A.M.)
Aureo Diaz Heights 10:30 a.m.
Fredensborg 10:45 a.m.
Harbor View Apartments 11:15 a.m.
BUS ROUTE III … DISTRIBUTION TIME (ALL TIMES A.M.)
Lorraine Village Apartments 10:30 -11 a.m.
Croixville Apartments 11:10 a.m.
Louis E. Brown Villas 11:20-11:30 a.m.