On 12 January 2021, WHO will launch a new Action framework for developing and implementing public food procurement and service policies for a healthy diet at a virtual high-level event in collaboration with Resolve to Save Lives, an initiative
of Vital Strategies.
Every year, unhealthy diets are responsible for millions of deaths and lost years of good health. Urgent action is needed to stop the growing consumption of foods and beverages that lead to unhealthy diets. Of greatest concern are excess consumption of
sodium and salt, sugars and fats, particularly trans fats, and low consumption of whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits.
Governments worldwide have a unique opportunity and also responsibility to lead by example through the implementation of healthy public food procurement and service policies, requiring that all food and beverages served or sold in public settings contribute
to the promotion of healthy diets.
Healthy public food procurement and service policies can contribute to enabling the population to consume healthy diets and reducing the burden of all forms of malnutrition, in particular, premature death and disability from preventable diet-related noncommunicable
diseases. They can also contribute to increased productivity and educational attainment; create purchasing power, which can increase demand for, and availability of healthier food and reduce costs; strengthen local food systems by promoting purchasing
from local producers, and improve health equity across populations.
The action framework will support policymakers or programme managers working on public food procurement or service, either at a national or subnational level including at regional, provincial or city level to develop new public food procurement and service
policies or to strengthen or expand existing policies. This action framework provides an overview of how to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate a healthy public food procurement policy.
- Dr Francesco Branca, Director, Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, WHO (Moderator)
- Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, WHO
- Dr Tom Frieden, President & CEO, Resolve to Save Lives, an initiative of Vital Strategies
- Dr Chizuru Nishida, Unit Head, Safe, Healthy and Sustainable Diet, Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, WHO
- Ms Kaia Engesveen, Technical Officer, Multisectoral Action in Food Systems, Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, WHO
Short Video messages from:
- Ms Christine Johnson Curtis, Former Assistant Commissioner, Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, USA
- Sri Lanka (TBC)
- Ms Betina Bergmann Madsen, Copenhagen Municipality, Denmark
- Ms Vilma Tyler, Team lead and senior adviser on nutrition of school-age children, adolescents and women, UNICEF
- Ms Lynnda Kiess, Chief, Nutrition Integration Team, Nutrition Division, WFP
- Dr Naoko Yamamoto, Assistant Director-General, UHC/Healthier Populations, WHO
Tuesday, 12 January 2021, at 13:30 – 14:30 CET
Please register in advance at:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
For any questions: [email protected]