Supply Chain Council of European Union |

Traceability adds value to both the crop and the supply chain

Crops are always the best advertising tool of a grower or an organization, but to be appreciated they must be traceable and certified according to the most modern standards of the fruit and vegetable sector.

The Sicilian farm Libretti stands out for the strict application of these parameters and guarantees hygiene and safety in its processing.

Giuseppe Libretti

“Our crop is traced from the greenhouse to the packaging, that is, from the plant to the plate. After a structured process, it obtains a kind of identification card, with a bar code that guarantees its integrity. This is an in-house management system that we apply to meet the needs of the main players, who entrust us with their own branded (private label) packaging. Moreover, the reliability of the brand also means independence. We manage all packaging, loading and transport operations independently, with a logistical efficiency that guarantees the freshness of the crops. The same applies to punctuality in the management of orders on a national and international scale,” said Giuseppe Libretti, CEO of the Libretti Group. 

“Thanks to supply chain projects, our company controls 70% of the production, while only the remaining 30% can be considered conventional, and always of good quality. This is why the large-scale retail trade entrusts us”.

Problems with logistics and increased prices for raw materials    “On the one hand, this company continues to grow, on the other hand, it cannot be denied that the last two years have been particularly intense for everyone. Especially in the last few months, we have faced problems in the area of logistics.” 

“We have experienced some difficulties in finding containers for overseas shipments. In some cases, this has caused delays. This phase seems to have reached its peak and we think that in the short term everything will be back to normal. Another problem is the increase in commodity prices as of January 2021, which is also weighing heavily on agriculture, even up to 50% higher prices for materials needed to run greenhouses.”

The 2021/2022 season                                                                    “With us, a season lasts the whole year, but from this year onwards, the harvest will be characterized by two peaks, one in the summer and the other in the autumn, if no major problems are encountered from the ToBRFV. We are equipped with the latest phytosanitary protocols for the prevention and control of plant diseases, but we will only get out of this situation when genetics gives us the definitive answers. We expect to have to wait another 1 or 2 years for that.”

“We are receiving a lot of requests from the large-scale retail trade for high-quality, multicolored datterini tomatoes. Consumers want to find this product on the shelves of niche vegetables. The immediate future is likely to move towards the snack format, focusing on young people and beyond,” concluded Libretti.

For more information:
Giuseppe Libretti
Gruppo Libretti
+39 0932.861635
[email protected]

Related posts

5 Steps To Protect Your Business From Supply Chain Disruptions


Eric Seip Joins Ingredion as Senior Vice President, Global Operations and Chief Supply Chain Officer NYSE:INGR


The importance of supply chain transparency