!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Shiv Sena to contest around 50 seats in Bihar
- The Shiv Sena is going to contest around 50 seats in the upcoming Bihar Assembly polls, party MP Anil Desai said on Sunday.
- Talking to PTI, Desai said the Shiv Sena does not have an alliance with any party for polls in the eastern state.
- “The Shiv Sena is contesting around 50 seats. We have fielded our candidates in constituencies where we have our cadre involved in public work,” the Rajya Sabha member said.
‘Feeling great’: Trump seeks campaign comeback from Covid-19
- President Donald Trump rallied hundreds of supporters for a comeback event at the White House, jumping back into the election race nine days after being stopped in his tracks by Covid-19 — a disease his doctor says he is no longer at risk of spreading.
- “I am feeling great!” Trump declared as he stepped out to a White House balcony Saturday — tugging off his mask to address the crowd, most of them masked under their red “Make America Great Again” hats, but with little social distancing.
- “Get out and vote — and I love you,” Trump told supporters, who chanted “USA” and “Four more years” throughout the address lasting just under 20 minutes.
People who stayed in power for long left villages to fend for themselves; I can’t do that
– PM Modi
PM Modi pays tributes to JP, Nanaji Deshmukh on their birth anniversary
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday paid rich tributes to socialist icon Jayaprakash Narayan and RSS stalwart Nanaji Deshmukh on their birth anniversary, saying India is proud that legends like them were born in this land.
- Today is a day to rededicate ourselves towards fulfilling their vision for the nation, Modi tweeted.
- “I bow to Loknayak JP on his Jayanti. He valiantly fought for India’s freedom and when our democratic ethos was under attack, he led a strong mass movement to protect it. For him, there was nothing above national interest and people’s welfare,” the prime minister said in his tributes to Narayan, the face of the anti-Emergency movement.
I’m delighted that such great work is being done on a day that has historic importance. Today, is the birth anniversary of Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Narayan and Nanaji Deshmukh
– PM Modi at launch event of distribution of property cards under SVAMITVA scheme
PM launches physical distribution of property cards under ‘SVAMITVA’ scheme
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches the physical distribution of Property Cards under the 'Survey of Villages and… https://t.co/Q8ahw7Zdm8
— ANI (@ANI) 1602395482000
Central Bureau of Investigation registers a case in connection with Hathras incident
Australian state warns non-complying public
- The premier of Australia’s Victoria state is stepping up his fight with members of the public who don’t comply with pandemic regulations, saying close contacts of those infected who refuse a test will have to spend 21 days in quarantine.
- The state government has announced mandatory quarantine will be extended by 10 days for close contacts if they decide not to be tested on the 11th day of isolation. The change will come into effect at midnight Sunday.
- Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews said a “very, very high percentage” of people had submitted to testing but the rule was designed to provide authorities with an even more complete picture.
Schools not to reopen in Chhattisgarh till further orders: Govt
- The Chhattisgarh government has said schools in the state will continue to remain closed till further orders in view of the COVID-19 pandemic, a move welcomed by many parents.
- As per the Centre’s guidelines, state governments can take decision about reopening of schools after October 15.
- However, the Chhattisgarh cabinet on Thursday decided that in view of the pandemic situation in the state, schools will continue to remain shut.
Discoms’ outstanding dues to power gencos rise 37%
- Power producers’ total dues owed by distribution firms rose over 37 per cent year-on-year to Rs 1.33 lakh crore in August 2020, reflecting stress in the sector.
- Distribution companies (discoms) owed a total of Rs 96,963 crore to power generation firms in August 2019, according to portal PRAAPTI (Payment Ratification And Analysis in Power procurement for bringing Transparency in Invoicing of generators).
- The portal was launched in May 2018 to bring in transparency in power purchase transactions between the generators and discoms.
India cases cross 7 million as experts warn of complacency
- Some experts say though that India’s death toll may not be reliable because of poor reporting and health infrastructure and inadequate testing.
- India aims to provide vaccines to 250 million people by July 2021, Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said last week. He said that the government was planning to receive 450 million to 500 million vaccine doses and would ensure “equitable access”.
- India saw a steep rise in cases in July and added more than 2 million in August and another 3 million in September. But it is seeing a slower pace of coronavirus spread since mid-September, when the daily infections touched a record high of 97,894.
- It’s averaging more than 70,000 cases daily so far this month. India has a high recovery rate of 85% with active cases below 1 million, according to the Health Ministry.
People in Hyderabad call for precautions amid COVID-19
- With COVID-19 lockdown being lifted across the country, it is the basic responsibility of the people to take preventive steps and follow the guidelines implemented by the government such as putting on face masks, maintaining social distancing and sanitisation.
- Saying that the Corona cases in India have gradually been decreasing day after day, Sunil, a resident of Hyderabad, employed at a software company said, “As we are entering into the winter season, it is very important for people to take necessary precautions.”
- “It is important that the lockdown be lifted as the economic condition of the county is at risk. Things are getting back to normal as the public is confident that the vaccine will be ready soon,” Sunil added while reacting to lifting up of lockdown.
India reports 74,383 new cases, 918 deaths
- Total case tally stands at 70,53,807 including 8,67,496 active cases, 60,77,977 cured/discharged/migrated cases & 1,08,334 deaths: Union Health Ministry
Testing update for Covid
10,78,544 samples tested for #COVID19 yesterday. Total 8,68,77,242 samples tested in the country up to 10th October… https://t.co/yjICh4WYlS
— ANI (@ANI) 1602387296000
Donald Trump accuses Joe Biden of ‘shipping jobs to China’
- US President has alleged that Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden in his previous capacities as Senator and vice president was busy shipping jobs to China, prompting the latter to hit back.
- Biden said Trump will be the first president in modern American history to “leave office with fewer jobs than when it began”.
Mexico’s confirmed coronavirus cases rise to 814,328
India fights corona
#IndiaFightsCorona India crosses the landmark milestone of more than 60 lakh Recoveries. The 5 top States with ma… https://t.co/iffg9s8Y2E
— Ministry of Health (@MoHFW_INDIA) 1602380182000
‘Chicanery’ is the only way I could lose US election
– Joe Biden
Delhi: Air Quality Index
Delhi: Air Quality Index (AQI) stands at 264 in ITO, at 228 in Patparganj, at 235 in RK Puram & 246 in Rohini, all… https://t.co/3s13C4CoXn
— ANI (@ANI) 1602379587000
Trump’s doctor says the president is no longer at risk of transmitting the coronavirus
5G iPhone expected to star at Apple event
- Apple is expected on Tuesday to unveil a keenly anticipated iPhone 12 line-up starring models tuned to super-fast new 5G telecom networks in an update considered vital to the company’s fortunes.
- A streamed event was cryptically teased with the message “Hi, Speed” in an apparent reference to the faster wireless networks being introduced in many parts of the world.
- Analysts expect Apple to introduce a selection of iPhone 12 models in multiple sizes, with some shipping earlier than others due to the toll the pandemic has taken on the company’s supply chain.
Mainland China reports 21 new COVID-19 cases vs 15 a day earlier
White House virus aid offer is panned by Pelosi
- A new White House coronavirus aid offer got bad reviews from both ends of the political spectrum on Saturday.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., rejected the most generous Trump administration plan to date as “one step forward, two steps back”. The Republicans who control the Senate dismissed it as too expensive and a political loser for conservatives.
Not one North Korean fallen victim to COVID-19
– Kim Jong-un
Patna station: Railway Police nabs passenger with over 18 kg gold, Rs 2 lakh in cash
Bihar: Government Railway Police (GRP) apprehended a person with 18.39 kgs of gold and Rs 2.30 lakhs in cash from P… https://t.co/3yHyJ9d0eW
— ANI (@ANI) 1602364933000
Kerala Gold smuggling case
- Customs Department questioned M Sivasankar former principal secretary to Kerala Chief Minister, for 11 hours on Saturday in connection with the gold smuggling case.
- He left Commissionerate of Customs (Preventive) after the interrogation. The Customs already questioned him for 11 hours on Friday.
- The Enforcement Directorate, which recently submitted a chargesheet in the Kerala gold smuggling case in a special (PMLA) court in Kochi, had said Sivasankar was a key person in the present government and his role has to be thoroughly investigated in the entire episode.